Anyone who has ever had to spend time in the same room as me for more than ten minutes ends up getting asked about whether or not they’ve watched The Great British Bake Off. Because I am obsessed. I force people to watch it — more often than not, I force them to watch approx 2 minutes and then they too become obsessed and so on — and then force them to discuss it in ridiculous amounts of detail and have them endure me talking about what I would have baked for that challenge and how I would audition for an Australian version in a heartbeat.
So, when one of my friends emailed me a link to an online application form for an Australian version, I may have made a very unladylike shriek and then began filling in the form.
I have never auditioned (or wanted to audition) for any other cooking show but, come on, it’s BAKE OFF! I JUST LOVE BAKE OFF SO MUCH! I wanted to be that person in the marquee with a cup of tea and ganache all over them! I could do that! I could be a bake off baker!
And then, somewhat surprisingly and two auditions later, I was.
Now, I’m not allowed to give away too much yet but I can answer the following questions which my students at school keep asking so I guess some other people might want them answered too.
- Who wins? No, I will not answer that question no matter what.
- Do you win? See above.
- When does it air? Still no official date! Soon! Just after Easter!
- What were the judges like? Honestly, lovely. Absolutely lovely! Dan is sweet and kind and generous and honest and knows many adjectives. Kerry is very generous, funny and very honest. I learnt so much from both of them and I still can’t quite believe that I got to spend time with them.
- What were the hosts like? Shane and Anna were absolute aces and very helpful and sweet. They really made us feel comfortable and at home. It would not have been as fun without them
- When is it filming? Already done, Year 8 Drama so finish your homework. (We filmed last year.)
- What were the other contestants like? Really fun and lovely. We are all still in touch and still share baking advice with each other.
- Can you make me a cake? Maybe at the end of term if you behave in class.
It was such an amazing experience and I am so glad that I hit submit on that application. I genuinely loved every second of it, even when it was long and frustrating and things weren’t going to plan!
I’m planning on doing some more Bake Off related blogging when the show gets going and I’ll hopefully be able to share some of the recipes as well. I also now have a personal baking-specific twitter, @ess_jay_bakes. Follow me there and see me flail about Bake Off in real time!
Bake Off. It is the best. Fact.
OMG OMG OMG OMG
As a sudden and extreme watcher of GBB I am so excited for you and to watch you bake!
That sounds slightly creepy.
It doesn’t sound creepy at all!
I’m so happy to be involved in Bake Off because it is bake off! YAY! BAKE OFF!
But I don’t have any homework!
(But seriously. I am excite.)
Your homework is to be excellent. COMPLETED! GOLD STAR!
I’m totally you-tubing Great British Bakeoff now 🙂 Can’t wait to see you
GBBO is so amaze! I’m always happy to convert another person to it!
Natalie and I squeeeeed so hard when we saw the promo with you in it! Can’t wait to watch the show!!!
Thank you, you three (miffy totally counts)!
It is very exciting and fun!
Just after Easter you say?
Can I ask a question please?: Are contestants on the show allowed to work from recipes that they can bring with them and have beside them? If I knew for sure you weren’t meant to bake from memory I’d audition for the next show. I just could not bake at any time, let alone under such pressure, if I didn’t have the recipe right there beside me. Hopefully, you’re allowed to answer that one.
I love the UK version so I’m hoping the Aus version is just as good. Can’t wait for it to air.
I really can’t apologise enough for not answering your lovely comments sooner! I’m the worst!
We submit the recipes prior to the show being filmed and we do get copies to work off during the filming. There is not way that I would have been able to do most of my recipes from memory so don’t worry about that!
You should definitely audition for the next season because the whole experience has been amazing!